Android Refactoring: Removing Dead Code

As of today, my Android application GiftIdea! is open source under the liberal MIT license. There are a number of things I’d love to change, but I think it’s probably going to be easier to write about the changes I’m making if I can directly link to the code.

I think commit ab1123 made the code better by removing code.

I got the idea of a ProgrammerErrorException from Nat Pryce’s Defect (formerly StupidProgrammerException). I liked the idea, so I included it in my project. As of commit 3d3db3 however, IntelliJ was reporting that it wasn’t used anywhere. One Safe Delete later and there is one less unused thing hanging around.

I still may try the idea. When I do, I’ll simply create the class again. And if I never do, I’ll never need to ship this code with the app again.

DRYing Views: Tables, Partials, and Helpers

A super detailed look at the how to DRY up some views in Rails. Walks through the actual code of ExpenseLynx, an open source expense system I built for my last course at Loyola University Chicago.

Read More

Pushing Logic: The Road from Manually Mapping Receipts in the Controller

After pairing with an experienced coworker for a few minutes, I had some great new ideas for how to improve my rails app: ExpenseLynx. This article is an in-depth walkthrough of pushing controller logic down into the model layer.

Read More

Pragmatic Refactor: JavaScript Confirmation Messages

An in-depth walkthrough of refactoring a javascript method, covering the thought behind the transformation.

Read More

  • 1